Lots of stuff going on lately, my head is spinning.
1. First and foremost, we were hit with the news this week that my father-in-law has cancer, lymphoma, to be exact. From the link above:
“Lymphoma is a cancer that begins in the lymphocytes of the immune system and presents as a solid tumor of lymphoid cells. It is treatable with chemotherapy, and in some cases radiotherapy and/or bone marrow transplantation, and can be curable, depending on the histology, type, and stage of the disease.”
However, I sort of take that as good news as compared to Monday when they told him he had lung cancer. Apparently, the prognosis is better for lymphoma than lung cancer. He certainly seemed in much better spirits when he called and told me the updated news yesterday.
I don’t really know about lymphoma, or the lymph nodes for that matter, but I’m starting to read. It is interesting to think about the lymph nodes having to do with the immune system as he was not very long ago battling some very nasty cases of bronchitis and pneumonia.
2. I got called to go take some tests for a job I applied for and I am totally excited. However, don’t expect to hear much more about it short of I got it or didn’t get it because I’m not going to be one of those people who talks about their jobs online and subsequently gets fired for it. :P
3. Kayleigh is eating all sorts of baby food and cereal now. In fact, I’m feeding her now. Sometimes she’s really slow because she’s gotta stick those fingers in her mouth between bites. But she really likes it. I think the only thing she might possibly not enjoy is squash, she seems to like everything else pretty well. She really packs it in there, too. We thicken it up with the baby cereal sometimes nearly doubling the volume and she will eat the whole thing every time, sometimes washing it down with a bottle. Yet she’s really slowed on her weight gain. I think it’s because she is just so active, she must be burning up all the calories!
4. She’s also still not sitting up yet but is very close to crawling. So we got her started with some once-a-month physical therapy. She’s practicing sitting right now, in her little seat. We’re also supposed to push her knees together more when she’s on her hands and knees as she tends to really send them flying out to the sides.
5. Kidney ultrasound is next week, hopefully then we’ll know if this girl is going to need surgery or not. Thankfully, we still have health insurance for approximately through 2010 even if Steve is not called back to work.
6. Last night Steve started working on the lower room. He’s taking it in chunks and has already ripped out the paneling on one of the short walls and added more insulation and drywall, not to mention fixing the shoddy electrical work that was inside the wall that we never knew about. He about had a fit when he saw it, said it was a fire waiting to happen. Apparently someone at some point (not us) also barely missed sending a nail into a live wire and instead was pushing the junction box out from the wall. But now drywall is up, the electrical is fixed, and we even have a new outlet. He also put in a switch to use with the old-looking light that’s outside that’s never worked. He’s working on fixing that up.
7. Yes, remodeling is expensive. It’s not really fair if you ask me. Either he has no time or he has no money. Never can he apparently have time AND money. But it’s also good that we have a lot of things we’ve accumulated over the years that can be used for this. He did have to buy drywall, but it was not bad at all.
8. That room has become, it seems, our junk room though, since we tore the wall out of the other one and made the living room bigger and finished that. We have books down there and half of my candle supplies, shipping boxes, packing peanuts, the desk, a few other misc things, a tub of E’s bigger toys, and a piano. I am sad about the piano. I’ve decided there is no room for it and I never get to play so I was prepared to give it up. But I don’t want to! And I was talking to a friend about giving it to her to the point where she was going to talk her her husband – they already have one but it is in bad shape – but then my mom is trying to talk me into keeping it and so I start second thinking it. I don’t want to go back on what I told my friend but she also hasn’t talked to her husband yet and we were thinking that maybe we could fix hers and get rid of the horrible one out at my in-laws’ and put ours there for the time being. I dunno what to do but it just can’t stay here…
9. Eight is enough. :)